Super Hunter tips on how to handle suggestions

With the rollout of the Super Hunter role, we’ve giving a small group of trusted community members platform‑wide edit powers. That’s huge, and with great powers comes great responsibility, so it only works if suggestions are reviewed with care.

Suggested artworks are one of the biggest sources of errors on the map: duplicate uploads, wrong artists, festival mislabels, or even photos of works that aren’t street art at all or not very good quality. I personally removed a couple of approved uploads beacuse I sensed it was already uploaded, so this moved me to write this set of tips.

Super Hunters are now the frontline of quality control. Not admins, not city managers — you.

This post explains how to handle suggested artworks responsibly, efficiently, and consistently.

1. Treat every suggestion as a review, not an approval

Suggested artworks are not automatically trustworthy. Especially app users vary wildly in experience, context, and research habits. Some are brand new. Some upload quickly without checking. Some simply don’t know the artist.

Your job is to slow down the pipeline just enough to keep the map clean.

2. Run a quick Google Lens check

This is the fastest way to verify an artwork:

  • Upload the photo to Google Lens

  • Check for matches on Instagram, Flickr, festival pages, or artist portfolios

  • Look for the artist name, festival tag, or location confirmation

It takes 10–20 seconds and solves most unknowns instantly.

Use this as your default first step.

3. Cross‑reference with the Street Art Cities map

Before accepting:

  • Search the artist’s name in the app

  • Check if the artwork already exists (duplicates are common)

  • Compare style, themes, and location

  • Confirm the city and neighbourhood match the submission

This prevents double uploads and keeps artist profiles clean.

If you want to dive deeper into this technique, explore style recognition or artist search tips.

4. Verify the artist name format

Super Hunters should always enforce correct naming:

  • No Instagram handles with “@”

  • Use the verified artist profile when available

  • Check spelling against the artist’s website or portfolio

If the artist is truly unknown, use the correct format:
Unknown – City

More on this in artist naming rules.

:puzzle_piece: 5. Check the city’s Unknowns page

If the suggestion looks familiar or similar to an existing unknown artwork, check the city’s Unknowns page. You might be able to solve multiple unknowns at once.

This is especially helpful for cities with active hunters or festival-heavy neighbourhoods.

Why this workflow ?

Super Hunters aren’t meant to be admins, they’re meant to be trusted, skilled reviewers who keep the map sharp without slowing it down. This workflow:

  • Prevents duplicates

  • Reduces “artist unknown” clutter

  • Keeps artist profiles clean

  • Maintains festival accuracy

  • Helps new hunters learn through better accepted examples

It’s fast, reliable, and scales beautifully across cities.

A stronger global map

We’re rolling out the Super Hunter role slowly, and your impact will be felt immediately. Every careful review strengthens the map for photographers, travellers, artists, festivals, and the entire community.

If you have extra tips, workflows, or detective tricks, share them, the more knowledge we exchange, the better our global street art map becomes.

5 Likes

Of course, I take this very seriously and apply strict standards.

I do not accept an upload with three graffiti pieces and only one artist name.
I do not accept vandalised works.

I really like the fact that our users/hunters are enjoying this feature. However, I have already noticed that a few people are simply taking chances by marking works as duplicates when they are not, or by suggesting artist names that are completely wrong.

We have unique tools in our hands, SuperHunters. Don’t be too quick to accept everything :slight_smile:

I have my own workflow. When I come home, I upload, check my routes, review what I reported, and see which community notes I need to handle.

I prefer to handle the community notes I created myself. If I write “remove”, then the vandalised artwork should be removed. If I only report it as “vandalised”, then we can leave it on the platform for now. Today I found out that sb changed wrongly the status to removed.

Country Managers want to be informed about changes in their area. Fair point.

So I hope all Country Managers will also do their best to resolve community notes. Contact your network, artists and locals. Dig into Google Street View, etc. Investigate and try to find the answers.
The last days I solved loads of pretty easy community notes (overpainted with photo proof etc) in CM Countries.

We have unique tools at our disposal, so let’s use them properly and keep the quality of the map high!

6 Likes

Y3S!!!

And by the way:

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU CATCH INFORMATION WITH THE HELP OF AI. THE MACHINE PRODUCES MORE BULLSHIT THAN CORRECT CONTENT.

6 Likes

Since we launched the suggestions, our knowledge became more important.
Another evidence that our vision: work with the real locals is the right vision.
Not every tag on a piece is an artist, but maybe their crew, or a few words they like to write.
Not every tag is the artist or writer, bt a shootout to a crewmate. Recently I stumbled on a suggestion: 4 writers for 1 little grafflettering… . It was just a shootout

I cannot repeated it enough… don’t accept too quick folks.

4 Likes

Now we have 3 options to process a suggestion: Reject / Accept / Accept and edit.

Sometimes, though, it takes a bit more time to investigate a suggestion, or to contact our locals there and get some additional information.

Would it be possible to add a button/status like “In Progress”? That way, it would be clear that another Super Hunter / Admin doesn’t need to handle that suggestion for the moment.

I already mentioned this “issue” to @TinyTim. I have quite a lot of knowledge about Portugal and Belgium, while Tim knows Spain, Scotland, etc. Could we perhaps link Super Hunters to suggestions in countries/areas they know well?

  • 5 days Local Hunters / CM
  • If they can’t solve it-> Release to the Super Hunters linked a country (like for me Portugal)
  • Release to all Super Hunters

How to chose a country? Maybe in our Profile?
Just a random thought :slight_smile:

1 Like