Map that only shows artworks for a given city

I wanted to suggest that two artworks in Helsinki be merged, but this wasn’t possible because one of them was actually assigned as being in Tampere. I’ve requested a fix to that, but looking at the other artworks currently listed as Tampere a couple of others also seem to be suspiciously assigned.

But other than going through them all one by one and zooming to them on the map, I don’t think there’s currently an easy way to say “Show me only the Tampere artworks on the map”. If there were, it would be a lot simpler to notice that some of the pieces assigned to a city should be moved to somewhere else.

Even a query parameter to the new /map view without being directly exposed in the UI would be very helpful for keeping things tidy.

1 Like

I like this idea! I’ve added it to the backlog, but just a heads up that it might take a while for me to get to it - apologies!

3 Likes

I’ve now implemented this - you can add the city slug like this:

https://streetartcities.com/map?city=amsterdam
1 Like

Woohoo! That’s great, and has already pointed a few problem cases across Estonia that I’ll need to suggest moves for.

Is it deliberate that it doesn’t zoom to the city you request? I found that quite confusing at first.

Ah yes sorry it doesn’t do anything other than filter the markers on the front-end, but it doesn’t retrieve any data about the city at the moment.

1 Like

I like this idea, took me a little while to work out why it was working for some cities but not others, you have to use the actual URL slug for the city, and some of ours are generated with just the city name (eg “melbourne”) while others have a hyphen and state abbreviation appended (eg “geelong-vic” and “wollongong-nsw”).

To workout the slug just search the city as normal and look at the slug on the URL generated by the search.

3 Likes

Thanks Thomas for implementing this,

it helps determining the markers that are associated to a City but are far outside (and maybe shall lead to a city creation )
as seen on Map - Street Art Cities
there’s some spots far outside the boundaries of the city.

the revert can also be interesting (to detect markers that are placed into Paris but associated to any other city) - but this one requires to know the exact boundary of a city and do some geographical indexing. (i did it for Paris last month and did some city change proposal)