When you’re curating a global map of creativity, clarity matters. Commercial walls come up more often, so this topic lays out a shared understanding of how we handle them as a hunter.
Why is this important
Street Art Cities exists to celebrate art, not advertising. Murals are easy, they’re the heart of what we do. But commercial walls sit in a grey zone, and we want to keep the platform focused on culture, not corporate promotion.
Community guidelines for commercial walls
Murals are always welcome
If it’s a true mural, artistic intent, cultural value, no brand agenda, it belongs on the map.
Avoid uploading commercial walls
Even if the artwork is technically impressive, if the wall’s primary purpose is to promote a brand, it doesn’t fit our mission.
No free advertising for brands
We’re here to uplift artists and communities, not to provide unpaid promo for companies like Coca‑Cola or any other brand.
When in doubt, check the intent
Ask yourself: Is this art first, or advertising first? If the answer leans toward advertising, skip it.
Discuss edge cases with the community
Some projects blur the line, collabs, sponsored festivals, brand-funded walls. Bring them here for conversation before adding.
Good morning: In my opinion, many garage doors or storefronts are painted by renowned artists (cities don’t always have large spaces, especially when there aren’t events or meetings), who also participate in notable works of art or “walks of fame.” Does that diminish its value? Well, when it comes to urban art, the answer isn’t simple. I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. The fact that the works aren’t signed shouldn’t be a deciding factor either. There are unsigned pieces, but there are also worn ones where the signature is unrecognizable. There are all sorts of viewers. Also, looking at the Platform, I’ve seen works in other cities made of small mosaics, whose artistic quality could be debated. Thanks anyway for the clarification and the answer.
Renowned or not, doesn’t matter. It’s about advertisement.
I find it even more difficult when artists criticize some uploads on Street Art Cities, and once they are verified, they upload their veggie shutters or car paints.
As previously said, are you going to see a city full with advertisement shutters which are not visible during the day? This should always be the question we ask to ourselves, always. . Quality over Quantity.
Hi Steven, in response to your email, I understand perfectly what you’re saying, and in fact, I agree with you that I think it’s wrong for artists to complain when it suits them to upload their work when it’s commissioned. My goal is to showcase the productions, not to advertise businesses. In fact, for example, artists like Alexandra Del Bene, who published a book about her work, work on commission, and many of her pieces are precisely from the closing of establishments that are open during the day, such as bars or shops, etc. So, the question of taking photographs of walls… the walls that are there are also the result of events that are often subsidized by painting companies or the city council itself, so it’s also institutional advertising. I don’t know, I see the issue as complex. Obviously, I don’t like to put the name of a store on it; I have no intention of advertising any business at all, much less Coca-Cola, for example. But it’s true that it’s quite complicated, and there are even beautiful works that have disappeared, like some in the San Pablo industrial park. I don’t know, I think it’s a difficult issue when dealing with art that’s in the street and so ephemeral. In fact, I’ve seen stencil and mosaic pieces that they’re not advertising, but perhaps they have relative artistic value. Anyway, everything is debatable. And as I said, well, I appreciate the response, and when it comes time to upload a piece, if I have any doubts, I’ll ask them through the forum. Well, thank you very much. Greetings.
El El lun, 16 mar 2026 a las 12:39, Stef [email protected] escribió:
It is indeed a thin blue line. One good measure is to check the artist’s feed or even better ask the artist if a particular artworks is still representable for his or her work.
Shutter art is also extra difficult as it is only visible during closing hours.
Always ask yourself the question: is the artwork something you would show a fellow hunter or a random tourist visiting your city?
These guidelines are here to help you, and so is the feedback.
Good morning: Thank you for your message. Checking the artist’s profile is a good idea. What I do think is too much work for something we do for pleasure is asking the artist. Not everyone knows the artists, and not all of them sign their work. I don’t see a problem with art on shutters. Don’t people visit places outside of business hours? I don’t see anything wrong with having works for collectors and others more for tourists. I know, for example, that there are artists who don’t want to paint in tourist areas because of their aversion to gentrification. And another point: there are artists who paint in transit areas, the so-called “non-places,” which are difficult to access, especially for tourists.
So quick questions, based on the above debate. In East London, I saw Fanakapan putting up a new piece that was commissioned by the restaurant that owned the wall. Would that be considered Commercial Walls?
Also, I live in Lower East Side in NYC and there was a project a 10 years ago called 100 Gates ( 100 Gates Transforms LES Shutters into Outdoor Art Canvases ). Should any of these be left off the StreetArt app? I have not added any of them, because I was thinking they could be construed as Commercial Art, even though they do not advertise the place they were painted.
Hey, good questions! I would not consider a mural as commercial just because they are payed for by a business. A mural is commercial if it is clearly there to advertise a business or product. If the business or product name or image are not part of the artwork, I would not classify it as commercial most of the times.
This one was commissioned by a bar called “de witte aap” (in English - the white monkey”). There is also a white monkey in the painting, but it’s not the bar’s logo. I rule it to be not commercial: The White Monkey by Mark Goss, Ox Alien - Street Art Cities
To wrap it up: consider the intention of the artwork. Is the intention to sell products or services? Then it’s commercial. Also consider the artist freedom. Did the artist have complete freedom on what to paint? Then it’s not commercial. Did they have the freedom within some boundaries? Then it’s is debatable, and it comes down to common sense. And yes, some pieces will be susceptible to discussion.
And maybe sometimes we get it “wrong”, things happen, it’s not the end of the world. The point is: we want to keep clear cases of advertisement off the platform. We are here to support art, not sell other businesses stuff.